Monday, February 22, 2010

Chunky Monkey

What a great weekend! I love the sunshine. Friday night we had Lorissa over for dinner since we weren't able to celebrate her birthday with her in January. It was really nice catching up with her. . .I feel like I haven't seen that girl in forever! On Saturday we went out to breakfast to one of our favorite spots--Woodinville Cafe, and ran into a gal that was in our birthing classes. Her baby was born on Dec. 10th. . .Abby's due date! :) Abby was all dressed up for the Husky game. . .since the dang Coug's are never on TV. She ended up pooing out this shirt shortly after the pic was taken. Our big girl has officially moved up to size 2 diapers. . .the size ones were basically little g-strings they were so small!!Do you see why she has moved up to the Size 2? Check out the chunk on those little leggers. I just want to squish and kiss them all the time. This cute little elephant tee is from Molly W.--we were going to go to the zoo so I thought it fit that she wore this shirt. It's a 6mo. and totally fits perfect!! We didn't end up going to the zoo though because we had a lovely lunch w/ Great Grandma Joye at Chinook's in Ballard. We even got to see Billy! It was very yummy and fun to visit with GG Joye. We went and walked Green Lake after lunch--it was packed but beautiful. Abby loves being outside and in the car so she was great all day.I have made our little girl a bottle snob though. :( I could just kick myself for letting this happen since she took only a bottle for the first month of life. I didn't think it would be a problem but as the breast feeding got easier and quicker I fed her via bottle less and less and now she likes to have a fit when I try it. She'll thrust her tongue out like get this thing out of my mouth or she'll sorta bite around on it, then gag, then cry--total DRAMA. Sooo, now I get to work on that every day or else Grammy won't watch her and Daddy needs the bottle to be an option as well when I am not around. . .like when I go to Book Club this Thursday. She did take the bottle last night finally so we'll just keep at it and I'm sure she'll be fine. . .then I'll have the fun task of introducing the crib at night to her in her own room. Can't wait for that--NOT. :)

8 comments:

Marisa said...

Uh...bottle snob is right!!! I have had the pleasure of experiencing her tantrum when I tried to give her a bottle:). She is totally dramatic and gags when the bottle is in her mouth...it was really sad, but also kind of funny:).

Amy said...

I wonder if my goofy theory would be related to the bottle/gag issue. Remember how I said I think a binky nipple worked better for me if it was a different shape than the bottle nipple... maybe if she expects to suck with no milk because it's not mama holding her and then all of the sudden milk comes out that is why she gags... Possibly she would figure out the difference of when to expect milk and when not to, and then whoever was feeding her wouldn't matter (as much)??? Who knows, with babies it's all about trial and error!

Marisa said...

Oh, good idea Amy!! Kim, try a different nip:).

Kimberly said...

she usually gags because she is having a fit :)

Kimberly said...

once she calms down and actually closes her lips around the nip she does fine--its when she is thrusting the bottle out of her mouth and crying that she gags. . .she doesn't take her binky that often so I'm not sure BUT I will def try it if things don't get better this week. thanks for the suggestion!!!

Becky K. said...

Try having Zach give her the bottle more, and not you. That worked for us. Your absolutely right though, you just have to keep trying and eventually she will just be hungry and want it! I adore her polka dot leggings in the first photo! She is so dang cute!

Malia said...

I hope you guys are getting the bottle thing figured out. We're having the same issue with Mia, and we had it with Bianca as well. Some things I've read are to try a bottle in the morning when they're usually pretty happy, and to try a nipple that's shaped like whatever pacifier they like. I tried a million nipples with bianca, bought all the expensive ones, and of course she ended up liking the Playtex ones (http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Orthodonic-Nipple-Pack-1/dp/B000GCJNLE) The holes on these ones are on the top of the nipple rather than the tip. So the milk ends up coming out at the roof of the baby's mouth instead of right at their throat, so they can regulate the flow a little better. :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Bottle Boot Camp was a success. We just had to remind Abby she had done this before and threaten to ground her for life. -zach